Wood Products and Bioenergy
Maintaining and enhancing the wood products infrastructure of California to support healthy resilient forests along with the people and ecosystems that depend on them.
CAL FIRE's Wood Products and Bioenergy team seeks to maintain and enhance the forest-sector workforce and businesses of California to promote healthy resilient forests throughout the state by supporting a diverse set of business development and workforce development projects.
Eligible business development projects include facilities, operations, and professional services that support the restoration of healthy, resilient forests by offering improvements to the wood products industry.
Eligible workforce development projects include universities, colleges, government and community organizations, and businesses that aim to increase workforce capacity in the fields of logging, fuels treatment, transportation, manufacturing, or other support services that bolster the development of a resilient forest sector workforce.
Research and development projects related to both business and workforce development will also be considered.
The Wood Products Team intends to maintain a continuously open solicitation for Business and Workforce Development Grants as funding availability allows.
Detailed information regarding the solicitation, application process, eligible activities and projects can be found under Grantee Resources below and in the in the Grant Guidelines.
Our Grants at Work
The Wood Products and Bioenergy Program seeks to maintain and enhance the wood products infrastructure of California to support healthy resilient forests along with the people and ecosystems that depend on them.
Existing and emerging technologies related to:
-- Solid wood and chip product processing and manufacturing
-- Bioenergy, including power generation and fuel production
-- Forest-related workforce development
Business and Workforce Development Grants Virtual Workshop
CAL FIRE's Wood Products Team held a virtual public workshop on January 26, 2023. The workshop covered the following topics:
- Project Eligibility
- Match Requirements
- Application Scoring
- Application Process and Timeline
- Q & A
- CAL FIRE Grant Programs Information
Access the Virtual Workshop.
2023 - Third Quarter
2023 - First Quarter
2022 - Fourth Quarter
2022 - Third Quarter
- Press Release - CAL FIRE Funds Workforce and Business Development Projects
- List of 2022 Q3 Grant Awards
- List of 2022 Q3 Applications Received
- Grant Guidelines: 2022 Q3
2022 - Second Quarter
- Press Release - CAL FIRE Awards New Funding for Workforce and Business Development
- List of 2022 Q2 Grant Awards
- List of 2022 Q2 Applications Received
- Grant Guidelines: 2022 Q1/Q2
2022 - First Quarter
Proposal Preparation Resources
- Business and Workforce Development Grant Guidelines (Updated 7/31/23)
- eCivis Grants Portal: Application Submittal User Guide (Updated Feb 2022)
- Workplan & CEQA Schedule Excel Document
- Sample Wood Products Grant Agreement
- Biomass Transportation Subsidy White Paper
- 2022-2023 eCivis Grants Portal Applicant Troubleshooting Guide
New Grantee Resources
- Grant Administration Information
- eCivis Grants Portal Grantee User Guide (Updated July 2022)
- Grant Amendment Guidance Information
- Online Progress ReportExternal Link
- High Quality Logo for Acknowledgement Media
- Blank Invoice Cover Sheet
CAL FIRE Standard Forms
- Example Board Resolution Wood Products
- Nondiscrimination Compliance Statement
- Drug Free Workplace Certification
- Payee Data Record